As I passed by the building, I couldn't help but gazed at it for a while longer and smiled. As if a premonition of things to come, my eyes teared as I tried to 'peer' into the building to see what the residents were doing. A silent whisper in my heart says, "How do they feel? Perhaps, if I'm older, if I'm in that predicament, I would feel...well...sad...". "No, sad would be an understatement," I told myself. I closed my eyes and put myself in their shoes. Ah yes...perhaps, when it's my time and it's me being there, I would try to put up a brave front and be happy. Think positive. Think of others who are less fortunate ...then maybe, things would not be so bad after all. I mean, how many years more before my eyes are shut? Forever?
I read an article in the newspaper not too long ago and the writer was on the topic of why we, as parents, shouldn't burden our children to take care of us when we are old. In other words, why bother the kids?
Well, really, it's up to us individual isn't it? I, for one, would rather have my mother stay with me. Even though I am not of her flesh and blood. Nothing I do now, I think, could compensate the pain, the hardship and anguish that she went through to raise me as her own. Erm...I'm not that fantastic but I'd like to think that I turned out quite okay...
But me? I've decided not to burden anybody, not my children nor the hubby. The decision was finalised. Today.
They say a mother's love is instinctual, unconditional and forever and that a mother is like a bank, where we deposit all our hurts, worries and sorrows. Really? Yes, really...
Perhaps, I should pay a visit to that 'home' I passed by just now. Who knows, being familiar with the surrounding would make my life much easier if I were to live there one day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment